Stephen D. Antrobus MD – PSC expert surgeon from Baton Rouge, LA discusses skin cancer and how to best avoid it.
“Cancer is a scary thing. How do we best avoid getting skin cancer?”
Skin cancer prevention recommendations has always recommended using a sunscreen with an SPF 15 or higher as one important part of a complete sun protection regimen.
Other tips include:
- Seek the shade, especially between 10 A.M. and 4 P.M.
- Do not burn.
- Avoid tanning and UV tanning booths.
- Use a sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every day.
- Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside. Reapply every two hours.
- Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
- Keep newborns out of the sun. Sunscreens should be used on babies over the age of six months.
- Examine your skin head-to-toe every month.
- See your physician every year for a professional skin exam.