Facial fillers! Who should inject me. Haideh Hirmand, MD, FACS discusses what patients should know about facial fillers.
Who should inject dermal fillers?
Fillers and Botox are considered medical procedures. Almost any doctor can perform dermal filler injections, and any nurse, anesthetist, nurse practitioner, or physician’s assistant in a doctor’s office can do these injections. It is illegal in all 50 states for an esthetician to inject fillers and Botox. Dermal fillers are part of a category of what is called “injectables”. They are injected just below the dermis and smooth out lines and wrinkles by plumping up the skin underneath. There are well over 25 dermal fillers worldwide but not all of these are FDA approved. Examples of dermal fillers are Restylane, Juvederm, and even the patient’s own fat cells.
Dr. Hirmand further suggests that not just any physician can and should perform filler injection. With fillers, it is just as important as surgery to understand anatomy, to understand aging, and to understand facial proportions so as not to distort the face and to give a really natural, wonderful result. She further urges, “It is absolutely important that everyone listen to this very carefully, you have to have a board-certified physician within a specialty that really focuses on facial aesthetics and volumizing.” It is very, very important, she says, not to just go to the spa in the Mall next door and to go to a board-certified physician who really understands aesthetics.
What questions should I ask the doctor before I have dermal fillers applied?
- How many of these treatments have you performed?
- How many years of experience do you have?
- Do you regularly treat my target locations?
- Which type of dermal filler do you recommend for me?
- Do you have much experience injecting the product you recommend?
- Are you able to dissolve the material if I have a bad reaction or don’t like the results?
- Can you show me some of your before and after photos?
- What will each syringe of filler cost
Make sure when it comes making decisions about facial fillers you carefully choose who will inject you.