September 6, 2013
Dr. Caroline Glicksman recently collaborated with fellow surgeon Dr. Steven Teitelbaum and came up with some of the most common misconceptions women have about breast augmentation.
Top 5 things you need to know before you have breast augmentation surgery.
- Bigger is not always better! Going too large can produce uncorrectable deformities.
- There is no such thing as a true “cup size”. Bra cup and band size vary by manufacturer and style.
- There is no ideal breast size; you can’t look just like your friend. Multiple factors will determine which breast implants are the right size for you.
- The best incision is the one that will give the surgeon the best opportunity to place the implant without introducing bacteria. A well hidden scar under the breasts is recommended.
- Breast implants are not a substitute for a breast lift if a breast lift is what you needed in the first place.
“Go into your consultation prepared to discuss these points,” says Dr. Glicksman. “Size, shape, and fill of the implant are all important, finding a surgeon who prioritizes long lasting results is perhaps most important of all.”