Dramatic rhinoplasty results in Los Angeles, California leave patients with a more self-confident image. The nose is the most prominent feature on the face. It’s also the object of discontent for many people. Fortunately, achieving a symmetrical, straight and natural looking nose can be accomplished through plastic surgery or rhinoplasty. Dr. Geoffrey Keyes, a board certified plastic surgeon and President of the Los Angeles Society of Plastic Surgeons clarifies what to expect if you’re considering rhinoplasty.
By Geoffrey Keyes, MD
and Carolynn Grimes
Nose Surgery Provides the Most Impact for Change
Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure to enhance the look of the nose says Dr. Keyes. “It is also one of the most important operations for improving the appearance of the face and can have the most impact for change when blending the features of the face,” says Keyes. According to Dr. Keyes, whether you want to shorten, lengthen, narrow or turn up the nose, the change that can be affected by rhinoplasty can be very dramatic. Dr. Keyes says there are two techniques of approach for rhinoplasty surgery. Open – An incision is made in the collumela, the vertical strip of tissue that separates the nostrils. The tissues are raised up and the operation is performed on the cartilage and bone in order to re-set and improve the appearance of the nose. Closed – The surgery is performed from within the nostrils, therefore there’s no incision or scar. Keyes says it depends on the surgeon’s capabilities and experience as to which technique is used. Dr. Keyes says a comprehensive evaluation by the surgeon is required to make sure your health is in good shape and you’re able to undergo the procedure. “Most people prefer to be totally asleep during the operation and that requires intravenous sedation so they must be in good physical condition,” says Keyes.
What to Expect the Day of Surgery
- When you arrive at the surgery center, you’ll be instructed on your post-operative care.
- You will need someone available to care for you during the first 24 hours of your recovery.
- The surgery itself generally takes between one to three hours depending on which approach is used, open or closed.
- After surgery you will have a recovery period at the surgery facility where you’ll be closely monitored.
- You will not be able to drive that day.
What to Expect After Surgery
- You can expect some bruising and swelling to occur.
- Usually there’s a nasal cast on your nose for about a week in order to keep swelling down and to keep the tissues in the proper position during the healing process.
- At the end of the week when the cast comes off, you will immediately notice a big improvement in your appearance, but it won’t be the final change.
- Most of the swelling in the first week or two will only be noticeable by you and your surgeon.
- Within a month almost no one will notice any swelling whatsoever.
Rhinoplasty is an excellent way of improving your appearance if there’s something about your nose that bothers you. You should always seek a specialist to determine your options and to see if you’re a good candidate for rhinoplasty.